CSW Clients and Servers we are testing
Following is a list of Web Service client, server, and hybrid applications we are aware of that are supposed to handle the CSW 2.0.2 protocol. Check out OGC's registry of products for more CSW implementations.
- We have not yet found one "off-the-shelf" CSW server or client that was stable or ready for production deployment.
- Every app appears to have small to large variations in the interpretation of the CSW protocol. It's like the HTML browser wars all over again.
- deegree http://www.deegree.org/
Java-based data and metadata Web Service engine with PostgreSQL/PostGIS or Oracle back end.
- Pro: open sources; handles WMS, WFS, and WCS too; transparent and highly configurable (XSLT) setup;active and responsive development team
- Con: no CSW harvest support; may be slow due to the heavy use of XSLT transformations over Java code.
- eXcat Server http://gdsc.nlr.nl/gdsc/tools/excat
A Java-based CSW server - not tested yet.
- GeoNetwork http://geonetwork-opensource.org/
Java-based all-in-one metadata catalog application
- Pro: nice data entry client and data import (CSW, ArcSDE, XML, etc.) web forms and tools; widely adopted; active development team
- Con: no CSW harvest support, can't query other CSW services and must load the data locally first; CSW support is new and still under development (buggy)
- deegree Generic OGC WebService Client http://www.deegree.org/
Java-based CSW test client - see demo
- Pro: simple but great test tool for any CSW transaction requests and responses
- Con: only good for developers
- Catalog Connector http://sourceforge.net/projects/catalogconnecto/
Promising Java based CSW client
- Pro: submits CSW queries to multiple services and compiles results; supports multiple CSW servers; easy to configure for CSW server idiosyncrasies
- Con: still in alpha stage
- eXcat Simple CSW Client http://gdsc.nlr.nl/gdsc/tools/excat
A PHP and AXAJ based CSW client
- Pro: only PHP client so far, simple
- Con: development on it appears to have been stoped, too simple
- CS-W client for ArcGIS http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/geoportal/clients.html
A CSW client extension for ESRI's ArcMap and ArcExplorer apps
- Pro: search CSW records within GIS app; insert found WMS & WFS services into GIS app
- Con: buggy; limited ESRI support; requires significant modifications to work with deegree. Search for "ArcGIS CSW client" more information.
Other projects we haven't had a chance to study
Buddata ebXML Registry/Repository (or ebRR in short) is an open source implementation of the OASIS ebXML Registry and OGC Catalogue Service. http://code.google.com/p/buddata-ebxml-registry/ . See also http://wiki.services.eoportal.org/tiki-index.php?page=ERGO+EbRIM+Implementation+with+GEONETWORK+and+OMAR
MDWeb (http://www.mdweb-project.org/) MDweb is based on JEE technologies, and implements the OGC CSW 2.0.2 specification using the ISO 19115 application schema. This CSW implementation in the most recent MDweb version draws on the Java language metadata implementation of the Geotoolkit library to support multi-lingual searches while a transactional mode enables the harvesting of remote ISO 19115 Dublin Core, EbRIM compliant catalogs. Current release 2010 July 27.