Install and Configure CSW Client for USGIN services
- Download and Install the CSW Client Application:
- Follow the instructions on ESRI's help site. Under the heading Installing CSW Clients for ArcGIS, follow directions in the Installation and Add the CSW Client to ArcMap bullets.
- Take note of the directory into which you install the application. You will need to know this for the next step.
- Download and Install the USGIN Profile Configuration Files:
- Download the files from resources.usgin.org.
- Unzip the archive. Place the four files into <the directory into which you installed the client>\Data. Overwrite the existing CSWProfiles.xml when prompted.
- Restart ArcMap (if it was open while you did this).
- Create a "Catalog" to Connect to in ArcMap:
- Open ArcMap and display the CSW Client
- Under the heading How to Configure Additional Catalogs back on the ESRI help site, follow the directions under the How to register a catalog service for use in the CSW Clients bullet. Select the "USGIN/Geonetwork" profile during step #4.
- If the "USGIN/Geonetwork" profile does not appear in the list, restart ArcMap and try again. If it is still not there, double-check that you have put the configuration files in the right place.
Note: If you have an old version of the CSW Client that you'd like to update. You'll need to first uninstall the old version from the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. Also, while the <install director>/Data folder contains a CSWCatalogs.xml file, this is not the file that is accessed in ArcMap. If you wish you change the CSWCatalogs.xml directly, you'll need to find it in <Documents and Settings Director>\<user name>\Application Data\ESRI. The path is likely slightly different on Windows Vista and Windows 7.